Monday, July 02, 2007

Wedding Bells...

San Diego, CA U.S.A./Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam

July 1, 2007

Phu Quoc:
N 10°11.124
E 103°57.963
San Diego:
N 32°43.000
W 117°09.000

I made calls from the San Diego Airport lounge filling people in on the wedding as I waited to board my flight to Seattle. I decided to make a detour to see my Mom and Jim before flying back to Vietnam to be with Marc.

The wedding the night before went off perfectly. The bride and groom exchanged their vows on the bow of the Catamaran, with Jeff Porter as the official and 45 of their friends and family watched the stunningly handsome couple. The happy bride and groom held onto the rail as they put on each other’s rings and kissed. The weather was perfect in the San Diego Harbor, the brilliant sun shining down on the full boat, making a perfect backdrop as the vows were exchanged. There were only a few bumps making some of the guests queasy, as Jenn Porter and Kris Green became Mr. and Mrs. Green.

Marc sent his congratulations from an internet café on Phu Quoc Island. He opted to avoid the very long flight and the anxiety filled days before the wedding as my main job was to keep Jenn calm. I definitely missed him during the romantic day; however, with the slightly choppy water and his weak stomach he made the right decision.

The Catamaran cruised along the bay for another two hours as the guests mingled on the boat. Dinner was served shortly after the ceremony as guests filed in and out of the galley. There were some tears as guests toasted the newlyweds, others choking up, unable to speak in front of the crowd.

As the sun set we pulled back into the dock with the happily married couple. We quickly unloaded the boat before meeting again in the Sheraton lobby bar. When it came time for the couple to leave, I embraced each of them knowing I wouldn’t see them again before my flight. I started to tear up a little bit, but controlled myself.

I was very happy I made it back for the special day. I know it meant a lot to Jenn and Kris, but it also meant a lot to me to see my best friend marry such a wonderful guy—knowing they will live happily ever after.

No comments: