Thursday, September 20, 2007

So You Say It's My Birthday...

Tihany, Hungary

September 20, 2007
N46°54.450
E017°53.237

Well, since I made Marc do a special blog for his birthday, he is making me do the same. I don’t have anything philosophical to say, like my body being a vessel or anything like that. I’m just happy that today’s technology allowed me to receive the Happy Birthday wishes from my family and friends at home.

A few days ago I warned my mom I might not have email or cell phone access in the Hungarian countryside. Her voice was strained; I could tell she was a little hurt that she wouldn’t be able to talk to me, her baby, on my birthday, a special day for her too. It was 34 years ago that I brought hope to her, my father and sister; helping them get through each day by diverting their attention from their current tribulations. I like to think I was sent to them with the purpose of providing them with the strength and courage to persevere.

By 9:00 AM, my time, I had heard from both my mom and dad who called me on my cell phone. My coverage has been spotty in most remote areas and both parents were happy they could hear my voice; wondering how 34 years passed by so quickly. When I finally rolled out of bed, I had several emails from family and friends.

Since we’ve been traveling, I thought days like today, Christmas and other holidays would be difficult being away from family and friends. I can’t lie, it’s been tough, but being able to hear my mom and dad’s voices today and exchange emails has made me feel as close in Hungary as I would in San Francisco. In fact, my Dad commented that it sounded like I was just around the corner, as my phone worked perfectly during his birthday greeting.

Marc and I will celebrate my birthday at a top restaurant in Tihany known for their excellent Hungarian cuisine and wine pairings. I’ll think fondly about my family and friends at home and realize they are with me in spirit.

This birthday was a challenge, but it reminded me how much my family means to me. It will be a birthday that I will remember forever; one spent in the countryside of Hungary.

No comments: