Friday, January 18, 2008

Coming Clean...

Koh Phi Phi Don, Thailand

January 18, 2008
N 07°44.128
E 098°46.795

Our first day on Koh Phi Phi wasn’t as perfect as I made it sound and Marc said I better come clean with the whole story. Well, since I can look back at it and laugh, I guess I will do just that.

After we checked into our room at Bayview Resorts, the same place we stayed on our last visit, we instantly noticed the picture perfect view of the bay; even better than last time. “Wow, this great,” we both exclaimed, before turning our eyes on the beds. Yes, two twin beds.

There have been several places during our trip where we have slept in twin beds, but since we were going to be staying for ten nights we decided to call the front desk and ask to change rooms, especially since our reservation guaranteed a double bed.

How should I put this gently… customer service is not a well developed skill-set in Thailand, and after being in Europe and the US for the last four months, we both got a little soft and forgot about the good ol’ days in South East Asia. They insisted there weren’t any more rooms with double beds, but we could upgrade to a higher level room.

It took a few minutes for the lady to realize we weren’t going for the upgrade, nor were we getting off the phone without yes for an answer. They miraculously found us a bungalow with a double bed just two doors down. Perfect, or so we thought…

The view from our new room was just as spectacular, but when we went into the bathroom we found a medium sized puddle of water coming from the wall. I called back this time, got the same story about no other rooms and of course we could upgrade. I politely told the young lady a leak in their bathroom is not our problem and I would expect them to upgrade us or fix it. I was assured they would send an engineer to fix the problem as soon as possible. I forgot that as soon as possible in Thailand could mean tomorrow, the next day or never.

We waited at least an hour for the engineer before we decided to go out and grab dinner. When we got back to our room we weren’t shocked to find out that the engineer never showed up. However, the puddle of water didn’t grow in size; it seemed to be evaporating nearly as quickly as it was dripping. Still grumpy from our 40 hour trip I got back on the phone and told them nobody came to our room to fix the leak… of course they would send someone shortly.

This time someone knocked on our door within five minutes, took one look at the water, and called down to the front desk. The front desk explained that the engineer couldn’t fix the leak immediately and we should change rooms (again)—they even found us another room with a double bed.

Marc thought we should stay where we were, throw a towel over the water, go to bed and not worry about the puddle. However, I wasn’t in the mood to ignore the puddle and wanted the problem to go away completely so we packed up our stuff once again and moved rooms.

The view wasn’t as spectacular in our third room and it shared a wall with an adjoining bungalow, but it didn’t have a puddle in the bathroom and had a double bed. I was satisfied until four in the morning.

At 4:00 AM a baby in the bungalow next door began to howl and didn’t stop for at least an hour. I never fell back asleep; tossing, turning, regretting my hard-headed decision of changing rooms and blamed it on karma. Marc grumbled at me, something about how much noise the small puddle of water in the bathroom was making right now, rolled over and fell back asleep. I tossed and turned trying to block out the noise.

As I laid there listening to the warbling of the brat next door, I realized getting hung up on something like a puddle of water doesn’t make me happier. I am on a beautiful island with my husband (and best friend) on the final leg of an amazing journey and I should savor every minute.

We’re back in the room with the puddle, with the great view, and a hand towel tossed on the floor soaking up the water—an engineer still hasn’t showed up to look at the leak, but why sweat the small stuff? I know I’m not.

1 comment:

Mike T said...

i bet that puddle was pee pee... cuz marc koh pee pee in his pants.